A late goodbye ~ Mobile Gaming Expert

Best viewed at 1280x1024 in IE and Opera browsers

 .

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A late goodbye

Here is the deal: I've decided to stop updating the blog.That is probably obvious to those who come here often, but I wanted to make it official.
Even though I still like playing mobile games I've noticed that at some point I've lost my motivation to try the new titles out there. In fact I rarely find a recent mobile game that can keep my attention for more than 5 minutes nowadays.Perhaps it's because I've played way too much java games over the years and most new titles are far from innovative but I see no point in writing countless reviews basically saying "been there, done that". Besides the new 3d graphics just look butt ugly on most occasions.
The big companies decided to keep to the formula of "rediscovering classic game designs" which actually means keeping the truly original content to a minimum.
Over the years the world leader Gameloft, that started as the equivalent of Blizzard (small portfolio of truly great games) became the EA of mobile gaming (giant portfolio of sequels with minor to null improvements).
EA games mobile is quite the same but with even lower production values and Glu mobile seems to have lost its edge after the initial strong start.
Perhaps the problem is in me, but looking back over the last few months I see few decent attempts at originality (all done by small companies)and they all failed miserably due to the lack of marketing prowess.
So I decided it's time to retire from mobile game reviewing. The mobile gaming in its present state simply does not deserve my attention.This is especially true to the java based gaming platform.
I want to thank all the returning visitors for their attention and endurance :) and for staying with this blog through its short life.
Wish you all the best :)